Monday, April 26, 2010

Thermal Flying At Big Sur, CA



(Big Sur Paragliding Video Below)
So, WingEnvy team pilot Mike Harris got the thermal bug after going on the dunlap trip, and wanted to do another trip soon. I suggested Big Sur, and he called my bluff by saying we should go this past weekend. And...we DID!!

It was sweeeeeet. We were joined by WingEnvy Team pilots; Tim O'Neill, Jack Gristani, David Kornberg, Jim Wells, and Hangglider pilot Keith Emminger. We all piled in Jack's car at the bottom and headed up. Keith has been out of flying for awhile due to injury, and wanted to come along to get stoked again. So he offered to drive down, which was great (not as great as if he could have joined us in the air...next time).

At launch, light cycles were coming from all directions, and occasionaly stronger cycles from the back. Tim and Mike stepped up to be the first to fly. They found a thermal along the ridge, and worked together to take it above launch altitude! This was Mike's first time going UP at Big Sur (Big Sur is usually known for sled rides...). They really worked that thermal, and Tim stayed with it a little longer to be able to fly over launch. Lift was not abundant though, and eventually both of them had to work out towards the front ridge, then the LZ.

Jack was next to launch, unfortunatley I didn't get his launch because I was setting up. I pushed off into a very light cycle, but found a thermal just past the trees on the left. It was small thermal, with somewhat undefined edges moving about. I turned for what seemed an eternity before actually gaining altitude. Finally though, I was climbing steadily, and watching launch get smaller and smaller. I could hear Keith cheering, but his voice was fading as I gained.

At the top of climb, I was around 600-1000 over (no instruments to confirm, but Jacks car looked small and Keith was a dot). This was my highest climb at Big Sur so far, and the views were awesome. I started having visions of jumping to the back ridge and going XC. But as I headed East, I hit a headwind, and started losing lift. So I turned and headed out to the front ridge. I hit a couple small bursts of lift, but nothing that took me up again. After crossing the front ridge, I found nothing but sink all the way to the LZ...but I wasn't disappointed, it was an absolutely beautiful day! Oh yeah, did I mention I was able to wear shorts, and I was comfortable for the whole flight?!! I'm mean, c'mon, what a great day!





Dave K, and Jim launched while I was climbing over launch. Looked like they had nice smooth flights. It was Jim's first flight at Big Sur, and it seemed like a perfect day for it. Great job Jim! Dave's go pro was also overwhelmed by the beauty, and stopped filming.

We decided we were all satisfied with the first awesome flight, and didn't need make the long drive to the top for another. So we said good bye to Big Sur, and headed home. Let's do another trip up there soon, and get some more of the team together...while it's still green if we can!!

No comments:

Post a Comment