Sunday, April 25, 2010

Flying Paraglider Competitions


(Photo to the left by Tim O'Neill)
There things I don't like, and things I love about flying paragliding competitions.

What I don't like first. When people are competing, they often put a value on a day of flying based on how they, or you, did in the competition. I often hear things at paragliding comps like "Today sucked...", or "It was a bad day because...", or "oh, you had a bad day...". Granted, if there was an accident or bad conditions, I would understand phrases like that. But usually, people are talking about not scoring well.

When I fly for over 4 hours, in challenging but rewarding conditions, with great pilots, and I hear someone thinks I had a bad day because I didn't make goal, I have to ask..."REALLY?". I mean, cmon, it was an AWESOME day! Even days when I bomb out at a comp, I don't like to consider as bad. I flew, I was safe, it was good. So, I have a hard time with the mentality that someone has to feel like their day was worse than someone elses based on scoring. That seems to be okay for me in other sports...but not flying.

But, so far, comps are a case of the good outweighs the bad, for me anyway. I have learned more about thermal and XC flying in competition, than all the clinics and lessons I've had combined. In fact, I learn more in a week at a comp like the Rat Race, than I do all year on my own!

I have also met some great friends and contacts at comps. Yes, there are skygods that are too cool/aggressive/self important to talk to anyone not in the top rankings, but luckily they seem to be the minority. For the most part, everyone is very helpful and willing to share their knowledge. Even the top guys will often help you out, which is rare in any sport. And it was at comps that I made international connections, people I later ended up visiting and staying with around the world!!

Even if you don't fly in the comp...go to one. You can just watch, volunteer, even fly as wind tech (testing the air out for the competitors). At every level, there is something to be learned, whether you are brand new into the sport, or have been flying for a long time.

Check out Tim O'Neill's awesome guide for paraglider pilots new to competition HERE. It's very well written by an experienced comp pilot.

There are also some great races for newer comp pilots. One's I have attended and really liked are The Rat Race, and the Northern California Cross Country League.

2 comments: